- This event has passed.
CALOBA Co-Sponsored Event: Building a Coalition for Racial Justice and Civil Rights During a Time of Crisis (Sept 17, 2020)
2020/09/17 @ 6:00 PM - 7:30 PMFree
2020 has been marked by civil unrest, peaceful protests that were met with aggressive federal backlash, and calls for racial justice spurred by the tragic killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and others, as well as animus directed against Asian Americans as a result of racist rhetoric that has been seemingly validated even at the highest levels of government. All the while, the COVID-19 pandemic continues to rage across the nation, while families struggle to make ends meet amid growing economic turmoil.
In extraordinary times like these, it is critical that Americans of all walks of life come together to face the challenges of the day. In this panel, we will explore how the African American, Asian American, and Latinx communities can be effective allies for one another in the pursuit of racial and economic justice during a period of crisis.
Please join the Charles Houston Bar Association, the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Silicon Valley (APABA Silicon Valley), the California Lawyers Association Racial Justice Committee, and the CALOBA on September 17, 2020 from 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. via Zoom for this important discussion.
The Co-Moderators will be:
- William E. Mosley, President of the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Silicon Valley
- Terrance J. Evans, Chair-Elect of the CLA Litigation Section; Vice President of the Charles Houston Bar Association; Co-Founder of the CLA Racial Justice Committee; Partner at Duane Morris LLP; and Deputy Director of Region IX of the National Bar Association
The Panelists will be:
- Professor Maria Ontiveros of the University of San Francisco School of Law
- Ruthe Catolico Ashley, Past President of the Filipino Bar Association of Northern California; Executive Director Emeritus at California LAW; and former Chair of the California Law Academy Support Council
- Adrieannette Ciccone, the Chair and Co-Founder of the California Lawyers Association Racial Justice Committee
CALOBA proudly co-sponsors the event. You may register for the event following the link: https://calawyers.org/event/building-coalition-racial-justice/